Friday, August 24, 2007

3rd Person

Mason is putting together more complex sentences now. The funny thing is though, he only refers to himself in the 3rd person. I hope he is not going to turn out to be "that" guy. Here is an example of some of the things he says...

"Fishies swimming in the water in bubbles"
"Yucky fries! Fall on the floor. Don't eat that!"
"Mason splash feet in the water"
"Mason no want _______" (this is getting old)
"No Mommy, Mason do it"
"Mason share toy with Zane."
"Mason go pee pee on the potty" (even though he never has)
"Mason got a time out for bad boy"

I just love seeing the progression of speech over time and I find it so interesting how they can learn to put the words together like that. For example, when he says "Mason goes pee pee on the potty", I don't find it quite as fascinating because he hears me say the same thing and he learns to repeat it. What I find so interesting is when he puts the sentences together on his own. So, the sentence "Fishies swimming in the water in bubbles". He put that together himself. He know what fishies are, and he knows swimming, and he knows water, and he knows what bubbles are, and from that he forms his own sentence. I just find it so intriguing to follow the patterns of him learning to talk.

He will point at himself and say "Me" and then point at one of us and say "You", but he still only talks in 3rd person when in a sentence. I just find it funny because it reminds me of the guy on Seinfeld that always talked about himself in the 3rd person.

1 comment:

Grandma D said...

I noticed just the other day when he was talking on the phone to me, that he is talking so much clearer and realizes now that someone is at the other end of the phone, a real person he's talking to, rather than just a toy he's talking into. And he was really paying attention when we sang "twinkle twinkle little star" , he would sing one verse and wait for me to sing the next and so on. My sweet little grandson!! And what's this about Mason got a time out for being a bad boy, not my baby, there must be some mistake!! :)