Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Egypt Trip - Aswan

Our day in Aswan started by getting aquainted with our cruise ship on the Nile river. While sitting in the reception area, after just arriving, I was chatting with another couple who were their with their 10 year old son. We had both booked through the same travel agency, and they were Americans too. I told them that we live in Amsterdam, and surprisingly they lived in Brussels. Then, I asked if it was work that brought them their, and the man replied that it was for his job. When I asked what he did, he told me he was the US Ambassador to Belgium and had just started the job under the Obama administration. Holy crap! Efe thought he was making it up at first because there were no body guards, but as the trip continued we saw them around incognito.

After getting checked in, we set out to explore the Philae Temple with a small group and tour guide. The temple dates back to the 7th century BC. To get to the temple, we had to take a small boat because it is located on an island.

Most of the temple is dedicated to one of the most important gods in ancient Egyptian history, the Goddess Isis. Isis reminded me greatly of The Virgin Mary. She is the goddess of creation. Isis found all the pieces of her dead husband and used them to bring him back in order to impregnate her so that she could give birth to her divine son, Horus, the god of protection. Isis and Horus together created and sustained life for the Egyptian people. Horus is seen below as the falcon.



The temples on the island were beautiful, along with the setting in the background.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love your pictures and reading about your adventures and travels. Are you starting to think about kindergarten? I almost teared up just enrolling Alexis. Our babies aren't babies anymore...