My doctor had decided that the baby was safer out of the womb. My clotting disorder apparently can cause the placenta to deteriorate early and leads to a higher occurrence of stillbirth. So, we scheduled an induction for just after 39 weeks. I was a little disappointed because I really wanted the surprise of going into labor on my own, but I didn't want to risk the health of the baby.
We had to show up at 6am on Monday morning, February 3rd. When we got there, nobody was there to let us in! We searched around and couldn't find anyone. Finally, I called the operator from a phone I found and she paged someone to come and get us. A nurse came and got us and took us straight to the labor and delivery room where we would give birth. We filled out a little paper work and she waited for the doctor to call us back to see if she wanted to start off breaking my water or start off with Pitocin to start some contractions. She chose the Pitocin, so the nurse set it up and started the drip probably about an hour or so after we arrived. I was about 3 cm dilated already when we got things started.
The nurse kept coming in and cranking up the pitocin every so often and I kept telling her that it didn't hurt. She was surprised that it wasn't painful, so she kept on cranking! I was progressing pretty slowly, but progressing. It took forever to get to 5cm. The nurse told me that the doctor would come around lunch time and break my water. I informed her that I wanted the epidural before my water was broken because that is when the contractions because unbearable with Makayla. They called the anesthesiologist in and the epidural was in place. I had asked her to keep the dose low because I wanted to be able to feel everything, but just wanted the edge taken off of it.
My epidural with Mason was so strong that I couldn't feel ANYTHING. Nothing at all. They had to tell me when to push and I couldn't move my legs at all. With Makayla, I could feel things and I could fully use my legs. I wanted it to be that way again, and it was set up PERFECTLY this time. I could feel the contractions very well, but they never got super painful, just uncomfortable. I could move around on the bed and use my legs completely.
Doctor Pease was the doctor on call. Of course, she was the only doctor in the practice that I hadn't met! My nurse assured me that she was "the best in the practice in her opinion". She came in and broke my water around 1pm.
The nurse kept telling me that 3rd babies always surprise you and that she will come quickly. But, she didn't. It took forever still. I was stuck at 7cm for quite a while. Even though she kept turning up the pitocin, I could tell the contractions weren't as strong and I couldn't feel the pressure down low. After a while, I decided I needed to move to another position to see if it would help. I put one leg on each side of the bed and I started rocking my torso back and forth slowly. Within about 10 minutes, I was feeling intense pressure down low. The nurse came in and checked me and I was "complete". She went to page Dr. Pease.
While she was gone, I told Efe I needed to push and that he needed to go get the nurse right away. He went to get her and she came right in. She said I have to wait for the doctor! I told her that it feels like the baby is going to fall out on her own, but she assured me that wouldn't happen as long as I didn't push. She showed me how to breathe through the contractions to stop myself from pushing, as we waited for the doctor to arrive. I had to breathe through 5 of them and it was an awful feeling, fighting against your body. I could hear the doctor down the hall and she was chatting with someone!!! I almost yelled. But then she walked in and she acted surprised that I had been ready to push, so I guess she didn't understand the urgency.
She still made me wait while she got her gown on and prepared. Once she was ready, I took a big breath and pushed and out came her head! They turned her so I could see, and told me one more push. I took a deep breath and pushed again, and her body slipped out and they put her on my chest. At 6:09pm, Rosalie May entered the world, weighing 6lbs8oz!
Efe took this picture and I love it so much. It was right after she was born and they placed her on me. The first time getting to see her close up.
No comments:
Post a Comment