Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A New Year in Amsterdam

OK, I'm a little behind on my postings :) Last New Year's Eve, I followed my usual tradition and went to bed around 11pm. I was rudely awoken at 12am and had thought that The Netherlands was being bombed. It is definitely not the sound I wanted to wake up to. I jumped up and looked out the window. Instead of seeing bombs exploding, I saw fireworks going off in every direction. Families outside with their kids, old men and women, young singles, all outside lighting off fireworks. Down the entire street!

This year, we knew what to expect. Lots of people letting off fireworks from many dangerous locations. So, we went downtown to spend New Year's Eve at Roger and Lauren's apartment. They have a roof terrace, so at 12am, we could look in every direction and see fireworks above the city. What I think is cool is that it isn't the city lighting them off, it is a crapload of normal people outside their houses.

This video doesn't even come close to doing it justice. I wish I had a better video recorder, and could have recorded all sides. It was literally all around us.

No comments: